Sunday, October 31, 2010

Compilation Teaser: Your Voice Was All I Heard

Your Voice Was All I Heard Outtake
by: twimamma



She looked like she was about to respond when someone I never would have expected spoke up instead. “I can help them.” It was him.

“Thank you, Edward,” Aunt A said instantly. “That would be really great. It’s only a few blocks.” I couldn’t believe he was really here. Edward was a rock star and the most famous person I’d ever met. I’d also met the Mayor of Chapel Hill, but he didn’t really count; he wasn’t really famous. But Edward was amazing, and he was watching me play. This is totally awesome.

“Hey, Edward!” I practically screamed. I’m sure I looked like the girls in my class did when they saw pictures of Justin Beiber, but I didn’t care. This was huge. “Is that really you?” I asked, even though I knew it was. He nodded happily. Cool. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m just visiting. It’s awesome to see you again.” He held out his hand and gave me a high five. I couldn’t believe he actually remembered me. Mom was totally going to freak over this.

“You, too. Wow, this is so cool,” I said. Mom didn’t know it, but I’d seen her cry a few times while looking at the poster of Edward she kept hidden in her closet. Sometimes when she fell asleep on the couch she would call out for him. I’d known since I was little that he was more than just a rock start to her. He was important, maybe even as important as I was.

I remembered the first time I saw him in person. It was in New York when we went ice skating for my birthday at Rocky Roller Center... I think that’s what it was called anyway. Mom spilled all over herself, though I may have helped a bit… okay, a lot. When she went to go clean up, there he was. I don’t think I really got it back then. I knew he was the famous guy Mom and Aunt A liked so much, but I didn’t really understand. But I was all grown up now. I got things, even if Mom didn’t think I did.

Drew looked just like Coach. Jimmy looked like his dad, too. But I’d never had a dad. Mom never told me who my dad was, but I’d looked at Edward’s picture enough to have a pretty good idea. We had the same crazy brownish red hair, the same straight nose, and the same green eyes. Given that, and how mom would cry over him, I’d been able to guess who he really was. I never asked Mom about my dad because I didn’t want to make her sad, but I wasn’t a dumb kid. I knew how to put two and two together.


* * *

twimamma has generously submitted the rest of this outtake to the Fandom for Preemies Compilation. You can read it and so many more like it, by donating a minimum of $5 to the March of Dimes during the month of November. For more details on how to donate please click here! You may learn more about twimamma and her fanfiction by clicking here.

1 comment: