Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Compilation Teaser: Part of the Furniture

Part of the Furniture
by: hongkongphooey


There was a shuffling of feet...then a nervous cough...then a hesitant voice spoke.


“Um...hello?”


Crap! It was a customer.


I glanced up nervously. There was a man standing in the doorway. He looked as uncomfortable as I felt.


“Hi there,” I called out, in what I hoped was a welcoming tone. “Can I help you?”


“Well...ummm” he mumbled, still finding the carpet fascinating. The poor chap looked uncomfortable, so I meandered over to his side to help him feel more at ease.


Now I was closer to him I could get a good look. Phew. He was obviously not one of the obnoxious Estate Agents from over the road; there was no overpowering stench of cologne and not a shiny suit or loud tie in sight. This guy was dressed casually in worn jeans and a nondescript black tee shirt. He didn’t seem to be wearing a coat and his clothes were clinging damply to him. I couldn’t see his face as he didn’t seem to want to look up at me but I couldn’t miss the shock of messy hair atop his head. It was an odd colour, not ginger but not brown either. I couldn’t quite put a label on it. He was tall too, although he seemed slightly stooped with his gawky, awkward posture.


“Can I help?” I repeated, speaking softly now I was closer to him. He seemed so ill at ease and I didn’t want to spook the guy any further.


How bizarre was this? I managed to find someone just as socially awkward as me?


Then he looked up at me.


Wow.

* * *

hongkongphooey has generously submitted the rest of this oneshot to the Fandom for Preemies Compilation. You can read it and so many more like it, by donating a minimum of $5 to the March of Dimes during the month of November. For more details on how to donate please click here! You may learn more about hongkongphooey and her fanfiction by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment