Thursday, November 4, 2010

Compilation Teaser: Look Who's Realizing Now

Look Who's Realizing Now
by: ajr818

I was finishing up packing when I heard her waddle into the room and shut the door behind her.


“Edward, are you seriously going on this trip? Does it have to be right now? Can’t it wait until after the baby is born?” She was pleading, but there was nothing I could do about it. Before my father died, I promised him I would always put the company first. That was one of the stipulations of the company being handed down to me.


“I have to. This is a huge account for the company and if I don’t go to this meeting, we might lose it.”


“But what if I go into labor? You do realize that I’m 39 weeks pregnant…or has that thought slipped your mind? Like everything else seems to when it comes to me.”


“Bella, what are you talking about? Things don’t ‘slip my mind when it comes to you’. I just have a lot on my plate and I can’t do everything all at once.”


“No, but you can up and leave your extremely pregnant wife to go on a business trip that could, most likely, be rescheduled since you are the fucking CEO of the company!” As she spoke her voice raised more and more until she was screaming at me. I knew I had to calm her down or her blood pressure was going to skyrocket.


“Babe, I know this isn’t the greatest time, but I promise that if anything happens, I’ll jump on the next plane out of Denver and be here as soon as I can. I just need to go and close this deal.”


Bella sat down on the bed – actually more like collapsed – and looked down at her belly with a dejected look on her face.


“I just don’t know how this is going to work.”


“How what is going to work?”


She looked up at me and had tears forming in her eyes.


“Me taking care of this baby by myself.”


“You’re not going to take care of the baby by yourself. I’ll be here and – ”


“No you won’t! It’s going to be exactly like it is right now. I’m always here by myself. You care about that stupid company more than you do me.”


I couldn’t stand it anymore. She was always getting on me about how much time I spent at work. Why couldn’t she understand how important my job was to me? I didn’t love my job more than her. It was just important to me because it was always important to my father. When I was growing up, my dad always spent long days at the office and my mom never got on my dad’s ass about it. Why couldn’t it be like that with Bella and me?


“I have a flight to catch. If you go into labor, call me and I’ll get on a flight. I’m done talking about this right now.” And with that, I grabbed my packed bag and went straight out to my car and left, without saying a word.

* * *
ajr818 has generously submitted the rest of this oneshot to the Fandom for Preemies Compilation. You can read it and so many more like it, by donating a minimum of $5 to the March of Dimes during the month of November. For more details on how to donate please click here! You may learn more about ajr818 and her fanfiction by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment