Friday, September 3, 2010

Fandom Preemie: Cayden

* Age: 2 weeks * Born at 33 weeks gestation *


My son, Cayden Anthony James was born just a few weeks ago, August 19, 2010 at 33 weeks 1 day. He is about to come home at the age of 2 weeks 2 days. On the morning August 10, 2010 I had woken and thought my water was leaking. I called my doctor and went to the hospital. They said that my water was not leaking and suggested other ideas. I was sent home and two days later started having mild contractions that I thought were Braxton Hicks. These contractions continued with the presence of fluid for a total of 7 more days, never getting more frequent or more painful. They were irregular and I even mentioned them to my doctor and he said they were Braxton Hicks as well.

However, on the morning of August 19, 2010 I awoke after a few hours of sleep with painful contractions, two in a row. They stopped and I was able to go back to sleep but an hour later the same thing occurred. Again after two back to back contractions I went back to sleep but was woken up thirty minutes later with contractions that made me want to cry. I called my doctor immediately and while I was on the phone my contractions went to every three minutes.

The nurses told me to go to the hospital, especially with this being my second child. My first pregnancy was perfect with no issues and I had expected the same with this one. Well, there were issues. My water had been leaking for a week and an ultrasound showed that I only had two pockets of two centimeters of fluid left. They proceeded to prepare me for an emergency c-section.

At 5:34pm on Thursday August 19, 2010 Cayden entered the world. He weighed 4 lbs 7 oz and was 17 inches long. The doctors said that he was quite large for his gestational age. He did need oxygen immediately but was able to just use a nasal cannula after a few minutes. All of his feedings were done through a feeding tube for the first week then he started taking bottles slowly. He was also on an IV for quite some time. He has been a feisty guy and has tried to rip his IV, nasal cannula, and feeding tube out. In fact, he pulled his feeding tube out seven times in one day! He has spent only 16 days in the NICU which is relatively short for a preemie but they have been the longest 16 days of my life.

He barely fits into an infant carrier car seat and he swims in newborn clothes. He is up to 4 lbs 15 oz the day before he comes home. His prognosis is good and he isn't expected to have any issues after coming home but there's always the chance. He is my miracle baby and I won't ever tell if one of his middle names is after Edward or after my brother.....

I never thought I would have a premature baby and have since found out that several of my friends were born quite prematurely. I've also had readers of my fanfictions inform me that they or their child was born prematurely. Leaving the hospital without my son is the hardest thing I've ever experienced. I wish there was a cure for premature births but there are so many different causes that no one knows if they are next. Thank you for reading my story and for taking the time to reach out to the preemies. They cannot speak so we have to for them.

~Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment